Monday 9 February 2009

Nuts about Hazels

The Hazel nut trees in my garden are just dripping with catkins. Great, and for two reasons: they look spectacular, and they promise a good crop of nuts for the red quirrels in the area.

I would like to offer you a photo of one of my own squirrels, but I haven't managed it yet. The best opportunity was last year as I noticed an industrious individual come bounce-bounce-bouncing up the lawn, to disappear behind the house, and return a few minutes later with a nut in his mouth. This happened three times, and on the fourth, after he had disappered behind the house, I was ready with my camera. Did he come back? Not a chance!

The French word for catkin is chaton, which also means kitten. I wonder if catkin is an old word for kitten in English? If you know, please let me know.



Incipient squirrel food















Someone else's squirrel

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...