Tuesday 20 October 2009

Plant mobilisation

Auntumn is here. We've had a hot, dry Summer, and the plans are gasping for whatever rain will soon be coming our way. (Today, according to the forecast). This is the time of year for moving plants around the garden, splitting up big clumps of perennials so they have better access to nutrients, re-homing plants to where they will get more of their preferred sun/shade, etc.

Now it is the turn of the tall, white, Dutch Iris. These grow in big clumps dotted around the garden. Some clumps are too big and need splitting up, some are just not where I want them. So I have prepared a big space for them, between two hazlenut trees, where they will form a green backdrop to the various other plants I will be putting in the bed.

They take a couple of years to settle in to a new home, so I won't be moving all of them this time, or I won't get any flowers next year. But a select few will be a nice new home with plenty of space.




These iris are far too crowded....


















So I move them to a nice new home, giving them plenty of space to grow.....




















Leaving behind some space for something new.

2 comments:

Tim Trent said...

I have this vision, now, of a regiment of Dutch Irises, mobilised, and heading for battle. I shall never think of such a peaceful plant in the same way after this. George Wyndham, eat your heart out, the Triffids are on the march!

Mark In Mayenne said...

Well they do tend to invade a space if you don't keep watching them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...