Tuesday 30 March 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Spring is happening with some speed now. The Forsythia is out, the Hawthorne is in blossom, and Japonica is starting to open its flowers.

The first house I ever lived in as a child was a prefab in Sholing, a suburb of Southampton, and there was a big Hawthorne bush just outside. It was big enough you could get inside it, and it served as a den for many a secret meeting between friends. So now the smell of Hawthorne blossom takes me right back. I hesitate to use the Woody Allen term "Proustian rush", but you know what I mean.






































Alice in Wonderland is showing in 3D in Laval, so I went to see it. I guess we can expect more and more big films to be in 3D from now on. I wonder how this will translate to home entertainment. Will we have to get (new, expensive), special sets, players and 3D glasses to watch our 3D DVDs? Or will they find a technology that is compatible with existing sets. We shall see. I think I'm classed as a "late adopter"; I have only recently bought a Blu-Ray player. Meanwhile, the municipal fountain was running, and new plantings have been made by the roadside.

3 comments:

Molly Potter said...

Spring isn't here yet - not like that. Wow. The pictures were enough to get me excited....

I saw Avatar recently in 3D and was genuinely impressed. My previous encounter had been with the cardboard red and green specs that you almost had to concentrate hard to make work...and then it wasn't ovely convincing.

In Avatar - I actually moved to brush some ash off my knee that I thought had fallen there..!

JamaGenie said...

I could be wrong, but I think 3D will turn out to be a short-lived gimmick, and whatever one has to buy to watch 3d will go the way of 8-track players. Sometimes one can have too much "realism".

Mark In Mayenne said...

Hi Jama, thanks for your comment.

I don't know, but I can see 3D video technology invading our homes at some point, but I think it's too early to say what form it will take. Hologram projection, maybe? Special goggles like we gave at the moment? I think it will probably happen eventually.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...