Tuesday 2 April 2013

Pots 4 - The turned wooden bowl

I like the mathematics of the fact that when you spin something around an axis, all the points in it describe circles.  So the concept of a lathe I find satisfying, in a related way.   Wood too gives me pleasure in its colours, its grain, how you shape and work it, and what it looks like when it's finished.

So when it comes to turned wooden bowls, what's not to like?  I own just one, that's enough to serve as a pattern, a focus of the pleasure if you like.  I bought it at a craft fair.  It usually holds a quantity of pot-pourri that gives a subtle scent as you walk past, but Anita was changing the contents recently, giving me the chance to photograph it in all its glory.  Here it is.




3 comments:

Helen Devries said...

I like that. I have one here given me by the man who made the wardrobe as I had admired the wood in his workshop.

Very plain and very satisfying.

James Higham said...

You are just so constantly busy, Mark.

Zimbabwe said...

I had an uncle that used to make some fantastic wooded items on his lathe. I have two very nice wine bottle holders that he made. Have a good week. Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...