Tuesday 19 December 2017

Help yourself

There's a garden centre near Titchfield, beside the ruined abbey, called Abbey Nurseries.  We often go there when we visit the rellies.  It's on a quiet road, and the old abbey makes a pleasing backdrop to the plant displays.


Here's a thing in the shop that puzzled me: these baskets.  A notice just above them reads "Please help yourself to a basket", together with a comment that the baskets are not for sale.  Now I remember in the early days of self-service groceries, a grocer took a person to court on the basis that he had walked out of the shop with a basket of goods without paying.  The grocer lost the case because a notice in the shop said "Please help yourself".

So am I supposed to just help myself to a basket?  Since they are clearly not for sale, I presume they are being given away.  Sadly, I didn't have the time to test my hypothesis.  Or rather, I didn't have the inclination to have to argue my case in court.


3 comments:

James Higham said...

S'il vous plaît emprunter un panier?

Mark In Mayenne said...

I think that in fact they are for carrying your purchases around, thus, "borrow" would indeed be appropriate.

CherryPie said...

That is a rather ambiguous statement. I think as you mentioned above that it really means that they are for carrying your purchases as you peruse the store and after making your purchases the basket should remain in the store.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...