Thursday 15 March 2018

Maintenance

I have finally finished all four bays in the new compost heap.  There is a little pile of compost left at the far end to be disposed of, but the rest of the old stuff is spread around the garden where I hope it will do useful things for plants.

The new greenhouse is starting to fill up with plant trays.  I've not planted anything really frost-sensitive yet.  We are expecting  -5°C in the next few days; I will need to see how well that is kept at bay first.  Which reminds me, does anyone know a good way of stopping lettuce from bolting to seed?


Meanwhile, we empty the septic tanks.



4 comments:

CherryPie said...

It is all looking promising :-)

James Higham said...

It’s all go at your place.

Chuckles said...

"Which reminds me, does anyone know a good way of stopping lettuce from bolting to seed?"

Eat it.

But seriously, plant a suitable cultivar, or plant at the right time of year or in suitable conditions?

We normally plant Little Gem, and a winter version WInter Gem, some butter and Romaine varieties, and a variety of Italian and Oriental salad and similar greens.

How well they do is very dependent on the above variables, but some of the best results were in the polytunnel over winter, and in a sun and wind sheltered bed behind a shed and water tank.

Mark In Mayenne said...

Thanks, Chuckles. Last year I planted Marvel of 4 Seasons, and I got some good heads, but many bolted.

This year I'm starting early - I have planted some seeds indoors already. I am trying the technique of shortening the daylight hours by covering them, taking the cover off about 10 in the morning and replacing it at about 5PM.

I'll try to find a shady location for them this year.

I am also trying a new variety "Sucrine". I especially like the crunchy heads.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...